We recognise the dedicated service of the Rev John W Evans who was minister at Elgin High from February 1951 to October 1984.
During his 33yrs as minister, he got to know his people and their families. He had a great memory and was able to ask how people were doing by name. During his tenure, he conducted many baptisms, weddings and funerals. He was active in the civil life of Elgin as he was Chaplain to the Dunkirk Veterans Association; involved in the opening of Elgin Town Hall and chaplain at Elgin Academy.
John was a well known and a familiar figure in Elgin High Parish and in the community. He was respected and held in esteem by those he served as a minister and as a friend.
The Kirk Session therefore decided to place a plaque in the church in memory of and to mark John’s faithful and dedicated service as its minister.